Management, Change Management, Leadership, Decision Making are all related yet different do- mains, that contain very different sets of skills. The academic thinking in these areas is constantly evolving and some of the leading scholars exploring these share their latest thinking and research in the materials that you will read and work upon.
Aims of the assignment
The aims of this individual assignment are to
⦁ learn from the latest academic and management opinions about how to manage, lead, make
decisions, and execute the strategies
⦁ open one’s mind to the intricacies of management, decision making and leadership, to the
underlying parameters of their drivers, and, as a result to which actions and behaviors may
support effective execution, or may cause execution to fail.
⦁ develop critical thinking by comparing concepts from the subject matter experts
⦁ develop your analytical skills of specific situations
⦁ develop your ability to adapt management concepts into specific situations
⦁ 1. Read the entire section IV “Strategy Implementation and Control” from textbook Wheelen, T.L. Part IV Strategy Implementation and Control. IN: Wheelen Thomas L. (©2012) Strategic Management and Business Policy: toward global sustainability. 13th ed. USA: Pearson Education. pp. 269-361
⦁ Read the two articles assigned to you from the attached HBR’s 10 Must
Read– Article Meeting The Challenge of Disruptive Change, from
HBR’s 10 Must Reads: The Essentials, and article The Hidden Traps Of Decision-Making from HBR’s 10 Must Reads: On Making Smart Decisions.
4. Proceed to a comprehensive analysis and summary of the ideas in the materials read. Do you agree, or you disagree with the presented ideas? How does these approaches help strategy execution and control – please explain the link? Please pay attention and describe both similarities and differences between the ideas presented in the selected materials. How the authors are complementary and how they are opponent in your view? Feel free to also compare to any other materials or ideas on the subject that you may have read about in a different source.
5. Choose a specific initiative at your place of work that (would) require(d) strategic execution/ imple- mentation/ change management/managing yourself/decision making and explain what your organi- sation must do to ensure a sustained execution of that initiatives.
Each student will have to present his/her thoughts during a 30 minutes class presentation. A Power- Point presentation should be delivered via Moodle (deadline is until the end of the seminar, Feb 18) The PowerPoint presentation should contain:
1) A brief presentation of the concepts stated by the 2 (or more) authors studied by the student
2) An analytical comparison: similarities, complementarity and differences
3) The link between these ideas and how they enhance strategic execution/implementation
4) A brief presentation of the initiative at place of work analyzed by the student
5) An explanation of what student’s organization must do to ensure execution, a sustained implemen- tation of that initiative
Due dates MANAGEMENT: PRE-CLASS PERSONAL ASSIGNMENT
⦁ – Delivery of PowerPoints presentation on Moodle: Feb 18 2018 (not later than 23h59 Moodle time)
⦁ – Class Presentation: Feb 2018, from 8h30 to 13h30
⦁ Each student is expected to follow the academic conventions in any piece of work they produce. In academic writing Referencing is one of these conventions. Referencing is used to acknowledge the use of other people’s work and ideas in your own work.
Referencing involves four key elements:
– Paraphrasing – putting the author’s ideas into your own words.
– Quoting – including the author’s exact words, using speech marks to indicate this.
– Citations – information about the source of the quote or paraphrase within your text.
– Bibliographies or Cited Works/Reference List – a list of sources that you have used and/or included in your text.
Page | 4
The sole Business School reference protocol is the “Referencing Style Guide from Harvard Version 2014” as described by University Of Roehampton & Business School. No other referencing system will be accepted.
Please refer to student’s documentation provide by the Business School.